Thursday, March 26, 2009

Trip cancelation...

Yes, it is true; the Nauvoo tour for March 2009 has been canceled. As we have watched the weather patterns and this storm as it is moving across the United States, we would have been in the storm all the way. That would mean snow packed, icy roads across Wyoming, (we talked this evening to the two relief drivers that are already in Cheyenne and they got into two ground blizzards getting there and they were on the front end of the storm) It is expected to have snow throughout most of Missouri and at least 2" of rain in Independence and the surrounding area on Friday, and as the weather forecasters indicated it will snow all day Saturday in Nauvoo. I talked to one of the missionary couple sisters at the Nauvoo Temple this evening and they indicated that on Saturday they were expecting it to snowing all day. Not the kind of experience you want to have in Nauvoo. Also we were really concerned about the safely of our travel in such cold, snowy weather. Many of the roads we would have been on in Missouri and Illinois are small two lanes, up and down, windy roads and if snow packed we would never meet any of our deadlines (also the possibility of a slide off). Also visiting most of the sites require us to be out in the open for extended periods of time. For that reason we decided to postpone the trip until May. I hope you will be able to join us then. I'm sorry that it is canceled, but having been there a number of times and knowing the timetable we must keep and the need NOT to be hindered by weather, it made the trip practically impossible. A poor experience for you, a waste of money for you, and we would never want, but certainly aware of a possible bus accident, that would not have been fun for any of us.

I wouldn’t mind pulling a hand cart back to SLC in good weather, but I certainly do not want to experience firsthand what my Great-great grandfather, William Openshaw and family experienced in the Martin Handcart Company. Call me a wuss, but I need my microwave!!



Love

Bro. O



Richard L. Openshaw Ph.D.

Brigham Young University Idaho



My trip is canceled primarily to snow in Wyoming. Never mind that it is almost April, and snow traditionally should be gone or melting in my memory. However, it all works out for the best. No longer can my teachers penalize me for missing their classes, and I can catch up on the large projects that are due at the end of this semester. Perhaps next semesters trip is a possibility.

No comments: